This is Saxon, our energetic little man who was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis when he was a week old. We gathered together many friends and family members and created Strides for Sax. Our mission is to raise money and create awareness for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to find a cure for cf. This is all about Sax and our team's efforts for the cause. As of the creation of this blog, Saxon is 21 months old, has been hospitalized several times for pneumonia, and had undergone 3 surgeries since his first birthday.



Friday, April 27, 2012

8 Days...

until we walk in our 4th annual Great Strides for Cystic Fibrosis walk!  Chocolate Roses for Cystic Fibrosis are flying out almost as fast as I can make them!!!  My mom had to go on a Zot-and-leaf-run again since she goes not too far from the craft store on her way home.  I was getting quite frustrated with some of the tape that we have because it's super sticky after putting on the roses.  I didn't think it should be that sticky, so when Sax and I were out running errands this morning, we stopped by Ben's Floral to talk to a florist.  (We don't use florists very often, but when we lost Baden in November, we ordered his floral arrangement from there.  We couldn't find anything that we completely liked, but had a few ideas and explained what we were looking for.  They did an AMAZING job and it turned out exactly as we had hoped!!)  I explained what we were doing and what the problem was that we were having.  The lady was very helpful and explained how it should feel and re-wrapped one of the roses.  I asked if they would be willing to donate some tape or if I could get a discount because of the organization.  The arrangement she offered was great - if I bought 12 rolls, she would donate 12.  My kids stole my business card holder out of my purse, so I didn't have any on me :(  I never thought to get our tax ID information from the state either, so I called our contact at the CFF for that so I have it next time.  I was able to leave her with a copy of the donation form, though, which I sent the original in today along with the information for the donation we had received from Pizza Ranch.  I'm going to be getting in contact with Sara again next week to discuss more about accounting for the contributions to our local group that aren't getting sent to the walk site and are being used by our group to raise money (ie, donations of materials/prizes for our group's local fundraisers which will eventually be sent in towards our team's overall goal.)

Raine was taking some around school and the secretary said we can bring a vase of them in on Monday.  She will put them in the faculty lounge with an envelope and a note of what they're for.  One day next week Raine is going to go over to Grammy's to sell roses in Freeborn.  We're also hoping to go door to door here again soon, depending on the weather.  Just seems to be kinda crazy this past week. 

I need to get an exact count, but we're creeping up pretty close to $500 in donations right now.  If you have not yet donated, you do it online.  My site is www.cff.org/great_strides/melindachristenson.  Or, if you're up for a real tear-jerker, read www.cff.org/great_strides/rainedana.

No comments:

Post a Comment