This is Saxon, our energetic little man who was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis when he was a week old. We gathered together many friends and family members and created Strides for Sax. Our mission is to raise money and create awareness for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to find a cure for cf. This is all about Sax and our team's efforts for the cause. As of the creation of this blog, Saxon is 21 months old, has been hospitalized several times for pneumonia, and had undergone 3 surgeries since his first birthday.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ready To Go

We're sitting in the waiting room right now waiting to for Sax to get called back for what is going to be his 4th surgery in less than 3 years.  He is having a nasal polypectomy, bronchial lavage, bronchoscopy, and having tubes put in his ears.

I was really irritated when we called for his report time last night.  Normally he has to be at the hospital around 6 or 7 am when he has his procedures, especially since he has to fast.  Well, we didn't get that lucky this time :(  His report time was 12:30 pm!!  How do you tell your 3 1/2 year old child that he can't have anything to eat or drink?  I think it's just cruelty!  So, being the 'good mommy' that I am, I kept Sax up as late as I possibly could and sent Daddy to bed (ONE of us needed to get some sleep...)  I got him in his jammies, gave him some loaded PediaSure (DuoCal plus Carnation Instant Breakfast chocolate), got him a few snacks, and turned on the Wii.  He and I played Monster Jams until about 2am!  I figured, if he couldn't have anything to eat after 4am, I'd just let him snack all night.  Letting him play on the Wii ensured he stayed up a lot later, too.  I reasoned that the later he stayed up, the later he would sleep in the morning.

And it worked.

I got out of bed a little after 9 this morning (courtesy of my two fur babies) and went downstairs to find Sax sound asleep on the couch.  He had gotten up a little earlier, but after Daddy walked with him for a few minutes and then turned on cartoon, he crashed.  He slept until I got him ready to go about 1030.  The whole ride to St Mary's, he was pretty quiet too.  Sax just looked out the windows and pointed out all the semis he saw.

He just asked for a PediaSure when we were getting his vitals taken.  I promised him that after he 'does a nebby' for the doctors, I'll give him some M&M's and a chocolate PediaSure.  We brought Buppy with us today too.  Buppy is going with Sax for his procedure and even has his own wristband (around his neck since it wouldn't fit his paw).  I'll post a pic of him after we get home...

We have about an hour wait still.... So he won't go in until around 130.  The procedure is supposed to take 1 hour 45 minutes.  His last one was supposed to be 1 hour 30 minutes, but took 3 hours... so we'll see what happens.  They said if we don't hear anything after 2 hours to ask at the desk.

Sax and Daddy are playing monster trucks to kill time and to keep Sax distracted.

I'll post after we know more.  Just keep him in your prayers for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment